Saturday, June 22, 2013

Monsters University - It barely gets a passing grade

Pixar and Disney has been a great combination for the last decade when it comes to making great movies such as Toy Story and Monsters Inc, but I'm not so sure if the dynamite duo did it this time with Monsters University.  Monsters University is the prequel to Monsters Inc starring Billy Crystal and John Goodman as the monsters Mike Wazowski and James P. Sullivan.  This movie tells the story of how the two met, formed their unbreakable bond, and become the leading scarer team at Monsters Inc.

My major problem with the movie is the length.  With previews it's slightly over two hours long.  That's a long time for a kids movie.  The storyline is also quite slow, so slow my mom fell asleep a couple of times and I almost did too.  There was a huge chunk of the movie I felt could have been cut out.  I understand that it laid a foundation, but it could have been done in a more condensed fashion to get to the more entertaining part.

I'm sure the adult audience wasn't that entertained.  Everyone, except my grandmother who said she liked it, looked like they were ready for a nap.  The kids appeared intrigued, but I didn't hear a lot of giggles and laughter from them.  The storyline was a bit adult with bullying, fraternity life, life changes,  and such.  I'm not so sure if the kids really got it.  There weren't a lot of jokes or slapstick comedy, so that didn't help with kid's enjoyment.  They just kind of stared at the screen and waited for it to end.

Monsters University passes with a C-.  It didn't live up to the greatness of Monsters Inc and what Pixar and Disney is capable of doing.  I actually like the short film before the movie called The Blue Umbrella.  It was really cute, and much more entertaining.

White House Down next week starring I wanna Channing all over you Tatum and Jamie Foxx!

No comments:

Post a Comment