Saturday, April 14, 2012

Wrath of the Titans - For the easily entertained

I have a friend who says that he rarely sees a movie that he feels is bad because he's easily entertained.  I on the other hand have seen a couple (Mirror, Mirror is one) in the last couple of weeks that were bad, but I guess it takes a lot to entertain me.  In general, I only watch sci-fi, fantasy, suspense & thrillers, scary movies, books turned into movies, and Disney movies.  Very rarely will I pay to see a rom-com or a comedy.  Wrath of the Titans fall into my fantasy category.  It also falls into the category of one of those bad movies.  Ok, so maybe bad is a bit strong.  I wasn't entertained, but my friend who easily is will enjoy it.

The storyline was very weak.  Let's see if I can get it right:  Remembering your greek mythology, Zeus needs Perseus to help him keep Chronos, his father, enslaved in Tartarus.  Hades and Ares have teamed up together to trap Zeus, and give all of his power to Chronos.  I didn't quite understand what Chronos was gonna do once he got out of Tartarus, but he did zap Zeus of his power and begins to make an escape.  While all of this is going on Queen Andromeda, Perseus, and Poseidon's son try to help.  How do these demigods and humans help?  Well, I'm not gonna tell you everything.  You'll have to suffer through it like I did to find out.

If trying to rely on the not-so-great special affects was the goal, then they fail there as well.  At one point I saw someone's silver fillings.  Really, not only did we not take the time to make a good movie or have bad arse special affects, but we couldn't take the time to properly edit the movie either.  I often felt like I was watching the screening before they cut and printed it.  But again, it takes a lot to entertain me.  So, I'll say this:  this movie is only worth the $6 I pay when I go to the first showing of any movie at the theater that day.  I wouldn't pay any more than that.  I honestly could have waited until it came on cable in a couple of years.  Who am I kidding; it's be on tv this time next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment