Friday, June 14, 2013

Man of Steel - Do we really need yet another Superman movie?

Since 1951, there have been seven Superman movies.  My inner geeky fat boy has seen five out of the seven, and at this point, he doesn't really feel the need to see another one, but I did.  Man of Steel is the last installment of this overly done superhero movie.  It stars a very handsome Henry Cavill and Amy Adams.  I'll just let you know from jump that I didn't like Man of Steel, but I'm also one of the few who didn't like The Avengers.  They are very similar movies, so it's not surprising that I wasn't entertained.

Too much of this and that: Man of Steel is 2 hours and 23 minutes long.  Not to mention the 15 to 20 minutes of previews.  That's almost three hours at the theater which is way too long.  This movie is way too slow for us to be sitting there for so damn long.  It had way too many flashbacks as well.  They should have just went in chronological order.  It may have sped up the movie a bit.  It's almost 2 hours before the real action starts.  Imagine a theatre full of pre-teens trying to sit still for 2 hours before anyone starts fighting.  A scary thought, I know.  It's tough because it started out so well giving us a little action at the beginning and then nothing for at least 90 minutes; just a lot of backstory.   The story itself wasn't new, but I liked the sci-fi spin on the theatrics.  A little less backstory and flashbacks, and more action, and this movie is salvageable.

Talk about all-star cast:  Maybe they called in the big guns because they knew the story wasn't great.  Henry Cavill is Kal-El.  I need to see more of him because he's a good actor and very easy on the eyes.  He looked great in the suit to say the least.  Amy Adams and her horrible pig nose is Lois Lane.  She's a great actress who really needs a nose job.  (I can't be the only one bothered by it.)  Kevin Costner and Diane Lang are Mr. and Mrs. Kent.  Russell Crow is Jor-El, and Laurence Fishborn is Perry.  Wow!  I know.  The cast budget must have been out of control.  They'll at least make that back in ticket sales today.  Too bad all that star power wasn't enough to make this good.

The bad arse:  I love a great villain.  He or she is often more important to me than the hero.  Henceforth, I need the person cast to be on point.  Michael Shannon has made of career of being a bad guy.  He is perfection as General Zod, a man hell bent on restoring Krypton at Earth's expense to his likeness down to his last breath. But, even better than him, is side chick, Faora.  Love her.  I love a bad bish, and this chick didn't play.  Her putting a beating on fools was my favorite part of the movie.  Sadly, there wasn't enough of her kickin' arse and taking names.

The suit:  There's nothing more iconic in our society than Superman's blue and red suit with that red cape.  I'm gonna get really girls here and say it was a great suit, and super cute.  Henry looked really good in it.  The design was very masculine.  I would have loved it without the cape, but I understand why it was necessary.  I liked the direction they went with the red and blue.  It was modern, yet it paid homage to the classic.  Nice job there.

The Truth:  This will be the number one movie at least for a week.  The theater was packed and sold out at least until the late night show.  But, just because a movie is full doesn't make it good.  Man of Steel was just too slow and lacking action.  I won't need to see it again, but you go see it and decide for yourself.  I just feel like, if you've seen one Superman movie, you've seen them all.

Next week: World War Z (Brad Pitt gotta work to pay for all them damn kids.)

No comments:

Post a Comment