Friday, January 24, 2014

I, Frankenstein - I, kinda liked it.

I have a thing for movies with superhuman monsters and the like.  I, Frankenstein is full of the like with demons, gargoyles and Adam Frankenstein (yeah, they named him Adam) battling to save humankind... yet again.  (Why does humankind always need saving?)

I, Frankenstein stars Aaron Eckhart (Harvey Dent/Two Face in the Dark Night) as Adam Frankenstein, Dr. Frankenstein's scientifically created creature, who has been thrust into a middle of a war between demons and gargoyles who were sent to by the archangel Michael to protect humans.  While fighting demons and searching for the prince of demons played by Bill Nighy, Adam looks for answers about why he was created and why the demons want him on their side.

The storyline is a bit weak, and the acting is even weaker, but the fight scenes save this movie.  The massive winged gargoyles and the soulless are the only ones who can destroy demons and send them to hell forever, and in the 92 minutes this movies is on the screen, a lot of demons descend to hell with lots of action and flare.  I was enthralled by the fighting and swordplay.  There were some bad-arse weapons for slicing and dicing.  Other than the acting and story, my biggest issue with the movie was that Dr. Frankenstein's journal was written in english.  Victor Frankenstein was from Geneva, Switzerland where they speak french and possibly german, so wouldn't it stand to reason that his journal was in french or german?  That really bothered me along with the fact that Adam didn't have an accent and almost everyone else did, but those are minor issues.

It wasn't a great movie, and it wasn't terrible either.  If you have a couple of hours to spare and want some decent sci-fi action and drama, go see I, Frankenstein.  I kinda like it, and I think you will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment