Friday, May 2, 2014

The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Not so amazing the second time around.

A superhero movie with way too much romantic teenage love drama is not that interesting to me or most superhero moviegoers.  It's not like when Clarke Kent loved Lois Lane, and as Superman kept trying to save her, or Batman and Catwoman's love games.  No one really cares about Peter Parker's undying and somewhat stalkerish love for Gwen Stacy.  It completely slowed down the story in The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Rise of Electro.

I really enjoyed The Amazing Spider-Man starring Andrew Garfield.  I didn't understand the big deal when that other Spiderman series starring Toby Maguire was in the theaters.  I didn't like a single one, so I was a little hesitant to see this new series, but I was pleasantly surprised.  I liked how witty Peter Parker was, and the action in the story kept me entertained, and while the action scenes in this sequel were great, I found this movie to be a snoozefest...literally.  The lady in front of me started playing solitaire on her phone, and I'm pretty sure the guy behind me was snoring.  Heck, I even took a quick nap too.  

Jamie Foxx as Max Dillon and Electro was thrilling with and air absurdity.  No one ever thought that a man high off electricity should maybe be kept away from it?  And, we're supposed to believe that a sickly teenager can walk into a high-powered prison because he's wealthy and take down two armed guards with his bare hands?  I know it's just a movie, but it was a little far-fetched even for a comic book inspired film.  But, that love story between Peter and Gwen was the straw that broke the camel's back.  It was excessive.  It took over the movie, and made it more of a rom-com than an action movie.  I didn't sign up for that, and most of those in the theatre didn't either.  

The best part of the movie was when the movie ended, and we got a sneak peek of the X-men movie during the credits.  What sucks is that you have to sit there for two and a half hours to see it.  I can't recommend this movie because it's boring and the energy flatlines throughout.  If you want to see a blue  Jamie Foxx or some pretty cool special effects, then take a look but remember I warned you.  The Amazing Spider-Man 2 isn't so amazing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment