Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Despicable Me 2 - Definitely Cute

Despicable Me is one of my all-time favorite animated movies, second only to The Lion King!  Those darn minions are just too darn cute and funny.  I really hope after Despicable Me 2, they get their own movie because at one point, I laughed so hard at them I cried.  What makes them so adorable and hilarious?  Is it because they are yellow?  Because they speak some strange french Klingon?  Or is it because their comedic timing is always just right on point?  Whatever the reason is, they steal the show.  

As to not give away too much, in this sequel Gru (Steve Carrell) has given up being a villain, but the Anti-Villan League, the AVL, needs his help to find a villain that has stolen a drug that turn minions into indestructible killers.  He's been teamed up with Lucy (Kristen Wiig) from the AVL to help solve the case.  In the meanwhile, everyone is trying to hook Gru up with a date especially his 3 girls because the super cute Agnes needs a mom.  And, the answer to both of these situations is right in front of them.  

It was really going to be hard to top the first one, and I'm not so sure they tried.  I think the powers that be said, "let's just stick to the same formula and make a funny movie."  Which, I think they did.  The storyline, albeit extremely predictable, was easy to follow for young and old, was fast paced as to not lose the kids' interests, and reinvented some of the old jokes.  I think everyone enjoyed themselves.  The kids laughed at the slapstick comedy, and the adults laughed at the youthfulness of the movie and the little adult innuendoes.  There was a minion dressed as Issac from "The Love Boat", and in their layer, there was stripper pole.  Kids wouldn't get that, but I found it extremely comical!

I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I'd watch it again and again like I do the first one, and I'll probably add this one to my dvd collection like I did the first one.  Honestly, it's better than Monsters University to me.  Go see it.  Take the kids, or not.   Whatever you do, be ready to laugh at all those cute little minions from the beginning until the credits are almost finished rolling. 


No comments:

Post a Comment