Friday, February 21, 2014

3 Days to Kill - 3 Reasons to Watch

Imagine buying your movie ticket and popcorn which you have gotten to buttery perfection, and then, being told that your movie isn't working, and you'll have to either see something else or come back later.  Yup!  That happened to me this morning, but because of a technical glitch, I was able to give back the popcorn and see a different movie an hour later.  The original movie I paid to see was Pompeii, but I ended up seeing 3 Days to Kill instead.  So glad I did.  I enjoyed it!

The last good Kevin Costner film I've seen is Tin Cup (DON'T JUDGE ME), unless you count "Hatfields & McCoys" which was a tv mini-series.  Nevertheless, I hadn't seen Kevin Costner on the big screen in years, and really didn't know if he still had it in him.  Clearly he does.  In 3 Days to Kill, Costner plays Ethan Renner, a "cleaner" for the CIA.  He has to retire due to illness, but is quickly pulled back into business by a somewhat psycho femme fatale of a boss with hopes of curing the illness.  During his short stint at retirement, Ethan decides to reconnect with his family, especially his teenage daughter, but the job, the illness, and teenage angst get in the way, kinda like in Live Free or Die Hard, only better.  This movie is better than most I've seen this year.  Here's three reasons you should see it.

1.  This movie isn't what I expected.  The storyline teased on trailers isn't quite what happens.  Ethan is a hardcore assassin, but like the assassin in The Professional, he has redeeming qualities especially when it comes to his daughter.  The movie is more about him repairing his relationship with his daughter than it is about him being a killer and trying to heal himself.

2.  We all love a good movie with a bad-arse killer, and 3 Days to Kill doesn't disappoint in that regard. There is great action and gun play with explosions, car chases, and torture, but all of it is done in a lighthearted sort of way.  The violence is subtle yet exciting.  The torture is almost comical, and the bad guys are endearing albeit maniacal.  Everything you could want in an action thriller.

3.  Kevin Costner does dad and bad really well, and he looks good doing it.  I don't remember him being so handsome, but a greying Costner wasn't too shabby looking on the screen.  Ethan's boss Vivi is supposed to be the eye-candy in the movie, but her character tries too hard.  If I had one criticism it would be her.  She's over done and not needed.  Vivi adds nothing to the movie.  She could have easily just sent an email or a text, and we wouldn't have missed her.   But, Costner was fantastic.  He really had your rooting for him to figure it all out and get well quickly.

I've seen two great movies in row (I saw Monument Men yesterday, but it's been out for awhile which is why I didn't review it, but go see it.) which is nice because I was getting worried there for a second with the lot of movies out there right now. Go see 3 Days to Kill and Monument Men.  You won't be disappointed, and I'm hoping some time soon, I'll be able to see Pompeii and let you know which one was better.  


No comments:

Post a Comment