Friday, April 18, 2014

Transcendence - The Matrix Prequel

Ever see a movie and leave unsure of how your felt about it?  That was me after watching Johnny Depp in Transcendence.  I'm wavering between like and dislike, leaning more towards like.  I feel like Transcendence is one of those movies that will be a cult classic amongst computer geeks, of which I am not.  I think that if you liked the science behind The Matrix, you'll like this movie, and if you're absolutely not into sci-fi, you'll absolutely be bored to tears watching it.

Transcendence brings to light our extreme dependence on technology, and how if we're not careful, our obsession with technology, need for enlightenment, and fervor in saving lives can destroy us in the end.  Doesn't that sound a little bit like what happened to the human race in The Matrix?  In the movie, Depp's character, Will, has his mind and thoughts implanted into a super computer like no other in an attempt to keep some part of him alive.  His wife, Evelyn, played by Rebecca Hall, oversees the technology and helps computer Will grow into an artificial, yet sentient, intelligence.  The antagonists are a rebel group called R.I.F.T who will stop at nothing to keep this from happening.  They don't want technology to take over the world and control humans for it's betterment which is essentially what happens in The Matrix which is why Transcendence feels like its prequel.  

This movie is slow with very little action and suspense, but the science, technology, and premise are pretty cool.  I think I'd have to watch it again to make a decision about if I liked it or not, but just not any time soon.  I will however be happy to go to the movies again with my companions that I went with tonight.  I typically go by myself, so it was nice to have E, K, and J with me even if K couldn't keep her eyes open.  She was very clear that she didn't like the movie, while the rest of us are still trying to decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment