Friday, May 18, 2012

You sank my BATTLESHIP...or did you?!?!

Remember that game we use to play back in the day with the little grey ships and red and white pegs?  Well, Battleship is based off of that game.  It's not nearly as cheesy as that commercial with the little boy saying, "You sank my battleship," and there are no white or red pegs, but it was extremely entertaining.  A feel good movie to say the least.

Without giving away too much, the movie is set on a naval base in Hawaii and after scientist send signals to an earth like planet, unwelcomed aliens show up reeking havoc on Hawaii and Asia during a naval mock war exercise between America and Japan.  I know that seems like a lot, but it's really not.  They have to explain a lot in a short amount of time, which is done pretty well.

I guess what makes this movie so interesting is that there really aren't any big name celebrities other than Liam Neison who's supporting role really could have been played by anyone.  True Blood fans will be happy to see Eric Northman (Alexander Skarsgard) in this movie.  He's not as sinister in this movie playing Commander Stone Hopper as he is in True Blood, but he is easy on the eyes.  There are some unlikely heroes.  The one the producers and director want to you to like the most is double amputee US Army Lieutenant Colonel Mick.  He's actually a real Army Lieutenant Colonel who has never acted before this movie.  You kinda give his acting a pass because of the fact that you realize that he really has lost his legs.  Oh, and how could I forget to mention Rhianna?  If you are expecting Ri Ri to be the sexy celebrity she likes to play on the red carpet, you can forget it.  She's pretty much a rough looking chic in a bad wig covered by a ball cap the entire movie.  She does a decent acting job throughout the movie probably because they kept her lines short.

(SPOILER ALERT!!!)  If I was to say anything negative about this movie, I would say that it goes from realistic to ridiculous towards the end.  The USS Missouri comes out of retirement along with some of it's old naval officers to help fight the aliens.  I literally wanted to yell out, "SERIOUSLY!"  Everything else was plausible until that point, but in the end you were ok with this unlikely turn of events because it all worked out for the best.

Go see Battleship at the theatre because the special effects and action won't be nearly as exciting and entertaining at home on the couch.  I'm not a fan of 3D, but I think this might even be good in 3D.  I enjoyed it; I don't know if it's add-to-the-dvd-collection worthy, but I'd watch it again if someone bought the ticket or if it was on tv.  Of the two action movies so far this early summer, I liked this one best.

No comments:

Post a Comment