Saturday, June 9, 2012

Prometheus - Wait for it, wait for it...

Prometheus is everything that I love in a movie.  Sci-fi, suspense, killer aliens, Idris Elba, Charlize Theron, and a surprise ending.  Yes! Yes! And Yes!!!  This movie isn't for everybody.  As we were leaving the theater there were grumblings from the women, but the men seem to really enjoy it.  I'm one of those rare women who love movies like this.  There was a lot going on, so I feel like I need to see it again, but I was captivated the whole time and was completely surprised by the ending.  You have to wait for the entire movie to end.  The screen will go black, you will start to pack up your things and then something wonderful happens:  a little more movie plays.  This is THE most important part of the movie to me, so DON'T LEAVE.  You have to see this if you are a Ridley Scott movie fan.

I don't want to give away too much so I'll give you a brief synopsis:  Two archeologist find paintings and carving all over the world showing these ancient people worshiping aliens.  These archeologist believe that the aliens are the actual creators of human life or engineers and believe that these aliens reside on a planet that is over 2 years away.  These two, who just so happen to be in a relationship,  also believe these aliens want to be found and are asking the couple to come find them.  Some extremely rich dying old man funds a trip to this far away planet and these scientist along with others set aboard the Prometheus to seek out these engineers and get the answers to life's questions.  Well, all kinds of trouble ensues once they land and discover this dome filled with some sort of slimy destructive alien life form.  There are other factors contributing to the trouble that the travelers on the Prometheus face starting with this android named David.  Keep your eyes on him.  He's got a separate agenda that I can't tell you about with out spoiling things for you.

Idris Elba is the captain of this ship named Janek.  He is rough, tough, caring, honorable, handsome, and and so damn sexy (if you know anything about me, you know that I am hopelessly in love with this man).  He is the reason I wanted to see this movie, and even though his role is a supporting one, I was glad that he was chosen to play this part.  I just don't think anyone else would have made a better Janek.  I could be a little biased.  Charlize Theron as Meredith Vickers is sent there by the funding company to oversee everything and make sure everyone does what they are supposed to do.  She's a bit of a bad ass who also has her own agenda for being on the Prometheus.

I definitely recommend this movie to anyone who likes killer aliens, stupid scientist, and sinister androids.  It will be added to my dvd collection for sure.  It's been a long time since I've seen a good sci-fi movie like this one.  They just don't make them like this anymore.  There wasn't any ridiculous unnecessary sex scene or over the top special affects.  It was as pure and wholesome as any sci-fi movie could be.  Ridley Scott did a great job with this one to me.  Go see it and stay until the end...the very end.

No comments:

Post a Comment