Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The Amazing Spider-man - Listen to your spidey senses

Sitting in the theater, watching yet another trailer for yet another Spider-man movie, I thought to myself, "...do we really need another one?"  I wasn't a fan of any of the Tobey Maguire Spider-man movies even though I saw them all.  (I'm a sucker for a comic book turned movie.)  I also told myself I wasn't going to see it, but the more I saw the previews, the more I thought, this one may be good.  My spidey senses were correct.

If you've seen any one of the previous movies or read any of the comic books then you have a general background to this movie.  Peter Parker played by Andrew Garfield, and odd and geeky looking kid, is sent to live with his Aunt May (the great Sally Field) and Uncle Ben (the average Martin Sheen) by his super secret scientist parents to keep him safe.  We don't know where they go and when they will be back.  Overtime, his aunt and uncle raise him as their own and we meet up with them while Peter is an awkward and often bullied teenager in high school.  In an effort to learn more about his father after finding his father's briefcase, he goes to OsCorp and meets his father's old colleague Dr. Curt Connors. They develop a friendship, and Peter helps Dr. Connors with his research.  During this time, Peter gets bitten by a genetically enhanced spider, develops powers, loses his uncle to senseless crime, falls in love with Gwen Stacey (Emma Stone) who's father is the police chief (Denis Leary), and all sorts of mayhem ensues.

Honestly, I feel that this Peter Parker is more likable.  He's smart, witty, and unique which is relatable to so many.  Andrew's geekiness doesn't seemed forced and becuase he doesn't have that hollywood look, you feel like he could be any boy in your neighborhood going through things who just so happens to have super powers and decides to try and save his city from vagabonds and giant lizards.  Tobey was just awkward and annoying as Peter Parker.  I always wanted him to "grow a pair".  The Amazing Spider-Man was good, almost great.  There was a believable storyline, no unnecessary sappy love scenes, excellent special effects that weren't over done, and a good cast.  We'll see where this Spider-man series takes us, but so far, it's off to a good flying start.

No comments:

Post a Comment