Saturday, July 21, 2012

The Dark Knight Rises - To the occasion

It's very rare to make a series of movies (not based off books) and have each and everyone be amazing. the Dark Knight trilogy is one of these rarities.  It's also hard to live up to the hype, and The Dark Knight Rises does just that.  It rises to the occasions and meets all of your expectations.  It is an excellent movie.  I don't know if it's better than the The Dark Knight, but it's up there with some of the best movies ever to entertain the masses.  It may be the best movie I've seen this year even with my few issues!

Before I tell you my issues with the movie, I'll tell you a little about it.  DKR picks up 8 years after  Harvey Dent aka Two-face dies.  The city of Gotham is as crime-free as any city can be.  Gordon is now commissioner, Bruce Wayne is MIA, and Batman is once again considered a thug and a murderer for the death of Dent, and he too is missing.  Bane (Tom Hardy) and Catwoman
(Anne Hathaway) are the villians in this one.  Bane is seeking to blow up Gotham with a nuclear bomb and Catwoman is seeking revenge against the rich.  She's not a bad girl at heart, but she is one bad arse cat burglar.  Bane's story ties into Ra's al Gul and the League of Shadows.  There are many different little stories going on throughout but they all tie together in the end.

I watch a lot of movies and pay a lot of attention to everyone and everything, so it may just be me, but one of my issues is that I felt the movie was predictable.  There really weren't any surprises for me.  By their reactions, things that were obvious to me, aren't obvious to the audience.  My second issue is that I could't understand what Bane said most of the time.  I needed subtitles.  My last issue with this movie is my issue with any other movie over 120 minutes, it was too damn long.  Runtime is 2 hours and 45 minutes.  That is 3 hours with preview!  I don't know if all of it was necessary, but I guess to tell the story completely, it needed to be that long.

Supposedly, this is Christopher Nolan's last of the Dark Knight Trilogy.  He really did an excellent job co-writing and directing this one.  The special effects were just right.  The violence wasn't overkill, and the acting was superb!  I look forward to whatever Christopher Nolan does next, and with any luck, he'll change his mind and make a Batman and Robin trilogy too.

2 comments:

  1. Really really loved this! They've set it up for Batman and Robin, they've got to return, they just gotta

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish they do too, but Christopher Nolan won't be writing it and there will have to be a different Batman.

    ReplyDelete