Friday, October 19, 2012

Alex Cross - As bad as Madea in a suit

Let me preface this review by saying that I knew going in that I didn't expect this movie to be good solely because of Tyler Perry playing Alex Cross.  My intention was to go in and have the movie change my mind.  My mind wasn't changed about the movie being bad, but I can't blame it all on TP.

Alex Cross is movie based on the book written by James Patterson with the same name.  There have been previous Alex Cross movies played by Morgan Freeman in Along Came the Spider and Kiss the Girls which were both excellent.  How could they not be?  Morgan Freeman is an amazing actor.  One of my favs.  Tyler Perry...not so much.  If you have been under a rock for that past decade or so and have no clue who TP is then maybe Madea will help.  Yes, he's the guy who dresses in drag in plays and movies as Madea.  He's also one of the richest entertainers out there owning his own production company, writing and directing several (albeit horrible) movies and plays, not to mention his numerous tv shows on TBS.  And now, he has an exclusive distribution deal with OWN (Oprah is one of his BFFs).  He's doing it big in the business, but as an action/crime-drama hero...he sucks monkey balls.

I guess if you are trying to widen your audience and change their perception of you as a man who can only act in comedies then this is the way to go.  But, he's just not convincing as Alex.  Maybe it's because all I could see was Madea in a suit.  I don't really believe he's pissed and hurt when I'm supposed to be feeling sorry for him and angry with him.  I'm just not.  He doesn't come off as a tough guy.  Maybe it's his small yet soft facial features (I couldn't help but notice how small his cheeks and lips are compared to his face).  But there are other issues with this movie other than TP.

The main issue is the acting and directing, although Matthew Fox as a bad guy is fantastic.  He really came off as very insane.  I loved it.  Matthew was the best thing about this movie.  Everyone else, even the great Cicely Tyson could have done much better.  I'm beginning to feel like there is a shortage of great actors out there.  Let's not forget the cinematography (why is the camera shaking) and direction that really could have been executed better.  Shame on you Rob Cohen.  I really expected more from you.

All in all, Alex Cross was written well, but not executed well.  Let's find a more believable Cross and let's spend some time developing the story and picking people who really truly know how to act.  I wouldn't waste my money to see it again or waste my time when it comes on cable.  You shouldn't either.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, the movie wasn't all that great. I couldn't get passed his lips. They are very feminine and remind me so much of Madea. Going in, I really didn't have much expectation but I wanted to see TP out side of his own movies. Now that I have done that, I'm good for a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete