Friday, October 5, 2012

Pitch Perfect - When Gleeks go off to college...

I broke one of my movie rules that I usually only break for dates and dvds:  No comedies, rom-coms, and/or silly movies featuring college students.  It, surprisingly, was worth it like seeing Step-Brothers and The Hangover.  Pitch Perfect starring Anna Kendrick, Rebel Wilson, and Christopher Mintz-Plasse, is a cute little comedy full of practically unknowns for those who liked the first two seasons of Glee.  With lines from Chelsea Handler like, "Nothing makes a woman feel good like a man signing like a boy," and creepy soft-spoken asian girls like, "I set fires to feel joy," how could you not watch?

In it's simplest form, this movie is about a college student, Becca, who has dreams of being a record producer and is forced to go to college instead.  Her dad makes her a promise that if she tries one activity in school and if she still hates college after a year he will pay for her to go to LA and live her dreams. She chooses to join a pretentious acapella club full of misfits (ironic I know) who has dreams of being the first all-girl team to win the international acapella contest against their rivals, an all male group from the same school.  In the process she meets a boy who just so happens to sing in said rival glee club.

The set list in this movie is what make it.  Bruno Mars, RiRi, and Madonna make an appearance.  Plus my favorite song out right now, "Titanium", is sung beautifully acapella in the shower.  They do tons of old school/new school mash-ups acapella style.  Blackstreets' No Diggity will get you groovin' in your seat.  I often times found my self quietly clapping after they were done singing.  The movie is predictable.  You can figure out how it ends about 15 minutes into the movie, but you will laugh and leave feeling like a giddy nerd for enjoying it.  This movie really makes me wish I could carry a tune, but until God decides to miraculously bless me with a voice, I will continue to watch others do it (watching last night's Glee while typing this).

No comments:

Post a Comment