Friday, January 18, 2013

Gangster Squad - A great gangster movie

Happy New Year!  I know we are 18 days into it, and I'm just now typing, but it doesn't mean I haven't been trying to get here.  Gangster Squad isn't the first movie I've seen this year, but I didn't feel that I had enough to say about Texas Chainsaw Massacre to type about it.  And, I'm still trying to find time to see Zero Dark Thirty.  If you haven't seen anything yet this year, Gangster Squad is a great one to get you started.

This movie is based on a true story about a group of LAPD officers who were brought together to take down Meyer Harris "Mickey" Cohen and his gang which may have been apart of the Jewish Mafia.  This group of cops were known as the Gangster Squad Unit.  In the movie, the squad was lead by Sergeant O'hara played by James Brolin.  He was a decorated war hero who was having trouble being a civilian in a corrupt LA scene of the 1940's and 1950's.  Members of his squad includes Sergeant Wooters (Ryan Gosling) who has a thing for Mickey Cohen's girl (Emma Stone), Detective Harris, Detective Navidad Ramirez, Detective Kennard, and Detective Keeler played by one of my favs Giovanni Ribisi.  They go after and destroy Mickey Cohen's business and establishments in order to run him out of town.  Sean Penn as Mickey is ruthless and physically and mentally ugly.  I can't tell if he was acting well or just playing a darker version of himself.  Either way, I was captivated by him and that nose.

There is a lot of classic gangster movie things happening here.  Lot's of shooting, night club scenes, girls in pretty dresses, guys looking good in fedoras, cars with suicide doors, car chases, and did I mention shooting.  There is that 2013 spin on it with the graphic nature of things.  In one of the opening scenes, a man is pulled apart by two cars, and we see it all.  There were some funny scenes mixed in there too.  And, every time Ryan Gosling entered the room, I would think that is one cutie patootie. I enjoyed every scene he was in, oh yes I did!  I think in all, this a great gangster movie.  It's no Goodfellas or The Godfather, but I don't think it was meant to be.  It's more like The Untouchables.  I enjoyed that one, and I liked Gangster Squad too.  I think so will you.

No comments:

Post a Comment