Thursday, March 28, 2013

GI Joe: Retaliation - Olympus wins

Last week Olympus Has Fallen came out, and I thought it was fantastic!  I knew GI Joe: Retaliation was coming out a week later, and it had a similar plot.  So, I wondered which would be better and which would bring in the most money.  GI Joe has a long standing history of tv shows, movies, toys, and comics to win on the financial end, but if I had to choose which action film was the best, I'd go with Olympus hands down.

GI Joe is the sequel to GI Joe: Rise of the Cobra.  I enjoyed the first one much more than this movie.  They brought back Channing Tatum as Duke.  (SPOILER ALERT) He doesn't last long in the second movie, and he never takes off his shirt.  Sorry ladies.  We do get to look at Dwayne Johnson.  The Rock is one of the things God got right.  But, I must say that I was disappointed in his performance.  He tended to overact, and I'm over him playing this big muscle-bound bad arse beating up and killing folks all the damn time.  He definitely needs to try something else.  I guess that'll have to wait until after the next Fast and Furious.

My other big issue with this movie is the storyline.  It's not very plausible and the acting comes off kinda immature.  Why is the Rza the Blind Master, an old kung-fu type guru?  He looked ridiculous sitting there channeling his inner Master Shredder.  Jonathan Price plays the POTUS and Zartan masked as the POTUS.  His character had a lot of silly, cheesy lines which really dumb downed the movie.  And then there's old arse Bruce Willis, who really needs to retire along with the Governator and Rocky.  He may have been the best actor in the movie, but he really added nothing but a big name to the screen.

There was some great action and fight scenes.  The mountain fight sequence was the awesomest!  Lot's of high-flying action, literally.  I tend to enjoy things blowing up, bullets flying, and good sword play.  That always entertains me.  This movie will entertain the average man, woman, and male child, but it didn't do it for me.  But, what do I know?  I didn't really like the Avengers either.  GI Joe is the second installment in this franchise, and I'm sure there'll be another one, but I hope they get better writers and some new action blood because this one was stale and put up against Olympus Has Fallen is an epic fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment