Friday, March 15, 2013

The Call - 911 is a joke in your town

Ever go into a movie with such low expectations only to completely and utterly enjoy yourself?  That was me this morning when I went to see The Call.  I really didn't think it was going to be that great, mostly because of Halle's wig or weave.  If they couldn't find her better hair, then I assumed they couldn't find her a good script either.  I was wrong, well sort of.

The Call is a simple story about a 911 operator, Jordan, played by Berry who inadvertently causes the death of a young woman when she returns a disconnected call while her kidnapper/murderer is searching for her.  This causes Jordan serious anxiety and questions if she should continue on the job.  Six months later, during a training exercise, Jordan helps a frantic young girl played by Abigail Breslin who has been kidnapped outside a mall.  All sorts of nail biting, breath holding, edge of seat action ensues.  Now, I typically go to the movies in the hood, which means there was a lot of screaming at the screen which may or may not have added to the excitement.  That usually bothers me, but today, it enhanced the thrill of the chase.

Morris "Dark and Lovely" Chestnut plays Halle's love interest and one of the police officers in on the hunt to track down the kidnapper.  His partner is played by David Otunga (JHud's boo).  David needs to stick with wrastling because he is not a very good actor, and although he's attractive, standing next to Chestnut, he just looks like a light skinned Mike Tyson (sorry Jennifer, not really).  Abigail Breslin is fantastic in The Call.  She doesn't annoy me as most little whining, sniveling girls in this type of movie can often do.  She is strong, smart, and fiery.  After I got past (barely) Halle's horrible hair, I enjoyed her strength as well.  There's no doubt that she is a fantastic actress, but she hasn't really been in any good movies lately.  This is the best one since...well...since maybe Swordfish although I liked her in Cloud Atlas.

I do have one complaint about this movie and that is the ending.  I really think it could have ended a little better with more power and justice.  There was really no closure.  It just kinda ended, but other than that I really enjoyed my time at the theater today even with all the screaming and yelling at the screen.  Go see The Call.  You may be yelling at the screen too.


No comments:

Post a Comment