Thursday, May 30, 2013

After Earth - A sci-fi movie about Daddy issues

Will Smith has evolved as an entertainer over the last few decades.  In the 80's, he was a corny rapper with catchy songs.  In the early 90's, he was a goofy tv show star.  In the late 90's, he became one of the biggest movie stars on the planet.  In the 2000's, he became a family man, and now he's doing movies with the family.  He's now done two movies with his son Jaden Smith.  After Earth is their latest movie together, and will probably be Will's least successful.

After Earth, has a somewhat complicated plot.  Humans are on an alien planet after destroying Earth somehow. That wasn't very clear to me, or maybe I just didn't understand what Jaden was saying in his low pre-pubescent voice.  There are peacekeepers who show no fear which is a tool to help them kill the aliens trying to destroy the humans.  This ability to control your fear is called ghosting because it makes you invisible to the aliens.  Will Smith is General Raige of the Peacekeepers, and Jaden Smith is a cadette named Kitai trying so hard to make his father proud and conquer his own fears and demons of the day his sister died.  They get stranded on Earth, a now quarantined planet, after an accident in space, and now Jaden has to find a homing beacon while fighting deadly evolved creatures now inhabiting Earth and other hazards of the planet.  

In truth, there was too much going on in the movie and not enough time to develop all of it.  M. Night Shymalan is a writer and the director, and he does a good job of trying to pull it all together, but the depth of it all was missing.  There was some action, but I found it all to be extremely predictable.  You will figure out how it's going to end about 30 minutes into it.  I was also annoyed by the accent of the characters.  It sounded like a cross between a soft southern drawl and a canadian accent.  Who thought that was a good idea?  Who thought that Jaden was a good enough actor to be in a movie almost all by himself?  Nobody wants to look at that bewildered look of his forehead face for almost 2 hours.  He is no Will Smith and this is not I Am Legend.  And when did The Fresh Prince get so old?  I thought black didn't crack?  Maybe it was the make-up, but it was the first time I didn't find him attractive in the least.  

I'd pass on After Earth if I was you.  I don't think I've ever said that about any Will Smith movie.  Lies! I could have done without MIB 3 too.  I'll be shocked if it's the number one movie this week.  Oh well. Now You See Me is out this weekend too.  I'd go see that instead.  

No comments:

Post a Comment