Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Hangover 3 - The Alan and Chow Show

I know that I have said numerous times in previous posts that I don't watch comedies because they usually aren't funny to me.  There are a few that have slipped under the radar for one reason or another such as Encino Man, Dumb and Dumber, Empire Records, Friday, Step Brothers, and The Hangover.  I don't know why I like (and own on dvd) these movie, but I do.  Lord knows all of these are stupid movies, but they make me smile, giggle, and/or laugh, and I could quote a line or three from each one of these movies.  I'm not sure if The Hangover 3 will make the dvd cut, but it definitely made me smile, giggle, and laugh, and there quite a few quotable moments.

The Hangover 3 is the completion of a trilogy about four guys, otherwise known as the Wolfpack (includes Alan, Phil/Bradley Cooper, Stu/Ed Helms, and Doug/Justin Bartha) who embarked on an insane fiasco two years ago with the innocent intentions of giving their friend an awesome bachelor party in Las Vegas only days before his wedding (the premise of The Hangover).  That bachelor party and it's aftermath was the catalyst to the events of the Hangover 3.  The difference in the two movies, is that the writers capitalized on the two funniest characters from the first movie and made them the star of this show, Alan and Chow.  Alan, played by Zach Galifianakis, is the somewhat clinically insane brother-in-law of Doug from the first movie who inadvertently causes all this trouble.  Leslie Chow, played by Ken Jeong, is the often times naked, drug abuser, bi-sexual, asian criminal who increases the problems of the Wolfpack in more ways than one.  

The plot of the third movie is even more ridiculous than the first two combined.  I don't remember much about the second movie, but I do remember that I didn't think it was funny because the jokes were too similar to the first movie and the storyline was dumb and made no sense.  Don't get me wrong, the storyline in this installment is just a ludicrous, but much more funny and entertaining.  Although not as funny as the first, Alan and Chow do their best to make you laugh.  Almost all the characters from the first movie return including baby "Carlos".  Mike Tyson was one of the only ones not there, but John Goodman (one of my favorite actors) is his replacement as Marshall.  You probably won't remember Marshall from the first one because Black Doug, Mike Epps, only mentions his name once.  We learn who he is and why Black Doug was so afraid of him.  

Do you need to see the first two to understand this third one?  It'd be good because otherwise you will be a little left out, and may feel a little lost.  There are a few flashbacks, but I don't think it'll be enough to get all of the jokes.  If you don't get to see both of them, at least see the first one which is the best one, of course.  You will need a little of that back story anyway.  This movie will make you laugh out loud and is enjoyable.  Be prepared to laugh until you snort, and try not to take the story itself too seriously.  I really hope that this really is the end.  We don't need another because it ended so well and on a funny note which is always a good thing.  

Next movie is Fast 6.  I know I said that last time, but forreal forreal, it's next on my list.  

No comments:

Post a Comment