Friday, November 22, 2013

Catching Fire - The Revolution has been Televised

One of the girls I coach on my gymnastics team says she hasn't seen nor read The Hunger Games because it's all about death.  I quickly said that it's about way more than that, and offered to let her watch my dvd.  Then, we got back to practicing.  The Hunger Games series whether in book or movie form is about way more than death and murder.  It's about revolution and how one person, one situation, one incident, one spark can catch fire and cause this revolution which can bring about change.  And, with this series being for young adult, it's the perfect audience to try and get this point across to this self-centered generation.

Catching Fire is the second installment in The Hunger Games series.  This book/movie is the beginning of the physical revolution when the people of Panem decide that because of Katniss' rebellion during the 74th Hunger Games, they are ready to start rebelling themselves against the Capitol.  Now, if you haven't read or seen The Hunger Games, you have no idea what I mean, and I'ma need you to catch up with the rest of us.  Catching Fire picks up right where The Hunger Games left off, a couple of months after the end of the games.  Katniss now has to deal with how Gale feels about her and Peeta's on screen love, proving to President Snow that she really does care about Peeta, and the Quarter Quell.  I really can't tell you much more about the story without spoiling some major plots, but I will say this...the plot thickens, and if you didn't already hate the Capital for sending kids into the games to fight to the death or for starving the people in the twelve districts, you will after your hear the Gamemakers' decision about who will go into the 75th Hunger Games.

This movie stayed true to the book.  There were only a couple of major details and a few minor details missing.  The integrity of the book was still there.  The characters looked exactly like I pictured them, and their personalities were spot-on.  Jennifer Lawrence is the perfect Katniss Everdeen, and when I read Cinna, I only see Lenny Kravitz now, but it's Jeffery Wright as Beetee and Lynn Cohen as Mags that were absolutely perfect.  I wouldn't have given that part to Jeffery Wright, but he played the nerdy role very well.  Jena Malone, really brought out Johanna's strength and Sam Claflin was a fantastic Finnick, although I was expecting someone a little bit more handsome.  But, I really think that Elizabeth Banks reprising her role as Effie Trinket really steals the show when she's on the screen.  I don't think anyone could have done her better.

Will I be adding Catching Fire to my dvd collection?  Most certainly.  Of course it's not as good as the book, but it's a pretty close depiction.  I enjoyed it.  The kids in the theater loved it so much they clapped several times.  (Clearly they hadn't read the book because they were shocked by the ending.  I overheard one girl say, "There better be another one, or I'm gonna be pissed.")  The other adults around me were on the edge of their seats.  I too was just as into the movie as I was the book.  There will be two more movies as Mockingjay is being broken up into two movies.  I can't wait!  I hope everyone returns and the writers can really capture the revolution in Panem the way the book does.  I also hope that I can convince my gymnast to catch the fire we all have for this series and see these Hunger Games movies and read the books.

Next Week:  OOH LAWD, my husband Idris Elba will be on the screen for 2 hours as Mandela!

No comments:

Post a Comment