Friday, December 14, 2012

The Hobbit - Does it have to be so LONG?

I love a great fantasy movie like the next girl, but I'ma need Peter Jackson to learn how to get his point across in under 2 hours.  He makes wonderful movies as we all know from watching the long arse Lord of the Rings triology, but I really need him to get it together.  No one wants to sit at the movie theater for 3 hours for EACH of your films MAN (in my Smokey voice) like I did watching The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey!

I'm not sure if it's the length of the movie, the amount of dialogue during some of the lengthy scenes, or the fact that I was up late on Facebook discussing Scandal (Still not watching?  You're a fool!), but I dozed off several times.  Don't get me wrong, when the action is going, it's great!  There are dwarves fighting trolls, and dwarves fighting gigantic tiger-like creatures, and a hobbit fighting some monstrous humanoid brute; plus there was fighting with goblins, not to mention the fire-breathing dragon that's really the reason for this whole movie.  BUT, it's still a little dry when all that isn't happening.

Now, some of our favorite characters from the Lord of the Rings make appearances to perk us up and keep our attention.  Gandolf played by the great Ian McKellen of course is there putting this adventure together.  Frodo Baggins (Elijah Woods) makes a brief showing.  Gollum shows his creepy yet lovable face talking to his precious self.  Our elvin friends are there too:  Hugo Weaving as Elrond, Cate Blanchett as Galadriel, and Christopher Lee and Suraman, although I think he's a wizard.

To keep it short, under 3 minutes, Bilbo (Ian Holm) decides to write down and tell Frodo the story of one if his adventures and how he finds THE ring.  The story begins when Gandolf recruits a younger Biblo (Martin Freeman) to help him and 13 dwarves take back their home which sits in a mountain that has been taken over by a dragon.  On their journey, they encounter all those goblins, trolls, elves, and other creatures that I told you about earlier.  Despite the length of the movie, you are left wanting more when it gets to the end and you (SPOILER ALERT) realize that the story isn't even close to being over and there is going to be another movie.  Anyone who knows Peter Jackson would know that there'd be more than one.

I must say, I was glad when it was over, and although I enjoyed the action, I left thinking, maybe it'll get better.  That's how I felt about the Lord of the Rings.  I didn't really enjoy it until the 3rd movie and even then, it was better when I saw it again at home on the tv.  Probably because I could pause and do other things when I needed to do so, and you can't do that at the theater.  Let's hope The Hobbit picks up, or I'll need to make sure I get a good night's sleep next time.

SN:  If Magneto and Gandolf (both played by Ian McKellen) got into a fight, who would win?  Ok, I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment